Built during the mining boom in this area of South Australia, Moonta Mines Church was established in 1865. It was the largest Methodist Church outside of Adelaide in the nineteenth century. Around one thousand people attended the opening service in 1865. At the time it seated 750 people, however the number of people coming to Christ greatly increased at the time and soon the church had need to expand in 1872 by building a gallery holding a further 500 worshippers. Currently the church building has a capacity of hosting 1250 people. The church is richly steeped in revival history in the state and the purchase acquisition of the property this year coincided with the 100 year anniversary since Smith Wigglesworth and Aimee Simple McPherson ministered in Adelaide.
Field of Dreams have been privileged to partner with the Lord in acquiring this historical building for the purposes of opening up the old spiritual wells of revival in the area and greater South Australia. Our first celebration service happened on the 31st of July 2022. We believe that honouring the first nation people and original custodians of the land in Moonta, is key to bringing honour and spiritual restoration to the area and beyond. We have therefore chosen to register the name of the new church as ‘Buggi-Buggilu’ (Ancient Wells). All people from all walks of life are welcome to come and experience the Lord. Services will be hosted fortnightly by the new congregation in the afternoons at 4pm and then weekly from September onwards, so be sure to check back on this page for future updates. Join us on Sunday 31st July at 4pm for our first celebration service!
Our Sunday church service runs every week at 4pm in Moonta. Join us and invite a friend!
If you would like to make a donation towards the maintenance and upkeep of this beautiful historical building in Moonta South Australia, please do so by using the reference ‘MOONTA MINES CHURCH’ in your payment to:
Name: Field of Dreams Australia
Acc No: 370125
Swift Code: WPACAU2S